Sunday, October 25, 2009

Bonjour de Paris!

Paris has been wonderful so far. Yesterday when we arrived at Laura and Dan's apartment we were greeted by the sweetest couple (Bruce and Lesa, also from Dallas) who were finishing up their visit and just left today. Laura and Dan were at a cooking class so in their absence Bruce and Lesa gave us the tour, prepared lunch for us (complete with the coolest beer called Ruby) and had the bed ready for us to take a much needed nap. Laura and Dan's apartment is so nice and in a beautiful neighborhood. We felt like we had just arrived at an awesome bed and breakfast or something. The windows are super-cool too and have these fabulous automated black-out shades. After lunch and a nap, Laura and Dan returned and we had some champagne and left for dinner. We had a great meal (I even tried escargot for the first time which was really good) and then we went to see the Eiffel Tower. They are celebrating the 120th anniversary of the tower and they had a special multi-colored light show which was beautiful. What a great start to the trip. So today Mom and I must have been plenty tired and jet-lagged because with those black-out shades in our room we managed to sleep in until 1:00 this afternoon (actually they just had their time change last night so technically we would have slept until 2:00 if you didn't gain that hour). Basically we had 14 hours of sleep which I probably haven't done since college. We still had a lovely day of strolling and shopping and another great French meal. Tomorrow we'll be heading to the Champagne region and staying the night. I'm really looking forward to it!


I posted some pictures that I've taken so far. I plan to make sort of a food photo journal of my meals and what I saw while I ate. So I have included pictures of my first lunch at the apartment and Lesa drinking her Ruby beer sitting across from me. There is also a picture of my first glass of champagne and Laura and Dan sitting in the apartment in front of me. The other food pictures are my three courses at the restaurant last night (escargot, gallet filled with crab and shrimp, chocolate mousse and a marscapone cream with orange). Then my Eiffel Tower pictures are next.












2 comments:

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

I'm so excited you are blogging your adventure!!! Can't wait to hear and see more!!!

Meredith said...

Oh my - we just missed you in Paris! Kyle and I just took a weekend trip there and returned home Sunday. We didn't see the beautiful light show though - I guess we just missed it! Perfect timing for you. Enjoy your trip. Can't wait to hear/see more!