Monday, October 6, 2008

Happy Birthday to Blake!

My first sweet, precious baby girl is really growing up. Sometimes I just cannot believe it was 4 years ago that I gave birth to my amazing Blake. Wow, how my world has changed since then. We've been on quite a journey, Blake and I. I can't imagine a more wonderful child to help me learn how to be a mother. Emma and I are still developing our bond and I'm sure it will be incredible and strong in its own ways, but I think there might be something special about the bond a mother develops with her first child. Not to say I'm playing favorites in any way (believe me I can and will gush about sweet Emma too on another occasion), but Blake has been like my introduction to parenting in every new stage and every new discovery. She's been the one through which I've discovered what it means to love a child and be in constant awe of her and God's power to create such individuality, personality, curiosity, brilliance and beauty. I'm always thankful that God chose me to be Blake's mother and I consider it such an honor, privilege and blessing. I just pray often for the guidance to do my best at it. Through these past four years Blake has grown up so much and developed so much personality. Some of the personality traits that have really shown through over this last year are Blake's intelligence and desire for and love of learning (I think that's some of Daddy shining through there), her loyalty and nurturing for her baby sister, her stubbornness (maybe she gets that from Aunt Rachel), her girlyness (a love of ballet, dressing up, make-up and anything pink come to mind) and a love of the arts (she loves to color, paint, craft, sing, dance and listen to music). I can't wait to find out what we have in store for us this year and in the years ahead for Blake, but at the same time my heart breaks to think of a time when she won't be so eager to sit with me, talk with me and be with me. These past four years Blake has pretty much been a "mommy's girl" and sometimes I find it hard to appreciate her wanting me for this or that, but I know a time will come when that won't be the case so I will keep trying to appreciate and enjoy this moment of motherhood as much as I possibly can. Try as I might to make every moment count I know I will still be one of those mothers who talks about how fast it all went and tells new moms to "enjoy it now". I will be a mess when my kids grow up and leave me. But hey, she's only four so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Tomorrow she'll still wake up and need me to make lunch for school and run to me and give me a great big hug when I pick her up. And I'm going to enjoy that 4-year-old hug so much. Thank you Blake for the most wonderful four years any mother could ask for. I love you more than I could ever put into words.

My how she's grown! Blake on her past 3 birthdays and this year:




3 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday, Blake!!

Newman Family Blog said...

What a sweet post. I hope that Blake had a great birthday!

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

Even though #2 hasn't "popped out" as Cade likes to call it, I agree with you. There's just something special about your first born...Cade is my bud!