Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Poor Babies

Both the girls have been sick with an illness that started as a stomach bug and then turned into a ridiculous runny nose and coughing. It was Emma's first time to throw up last week and she was so sweet and cuddly and we felt so bad for her. Blake didn't get sick until a couple of days later and now they are both just covered in snot all day and are coughing up a storm. I can't stand to see my kids cough. I really can't stand hearing them coughing in the middle of the night. It's torture! How awful to be sick at Christmas too. It could be worse though so I'm just hoping we don't get it and they don't get worse.

Last weekend at a restaurant we noticed a crying baby and Blake said "That baby is really poor". I asked her if she meant like when someone says "poor baby" and she of course said, "yeah, that baby is really poor look how hard she's crying". So I thought that was really funny and tried to explain to her that "poor baby" was a figure of speech and saying it the other way meant something different. I'm not sure it sunk in though because since she's been coughing today I've said "poor baby" a couple of times and once she said "yeah, I really am poor today". I could see where she might be confused. The English language is full of some pretty funny expressions and kids just make them even funnier.

No comments: