Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Love Lucy
















I feel like expressing my love of this timeless show. I Love Lucy has to be one of the very best shows ever created. I remember watching reruns of I Love Lucy when I was a kid and now I'm sharing them with Blake. I've been recording them to DVR lately and she's been watching them with me. She may be a little young to really appreciate the show like I do, but she can already appreciate how silly Lucy can be, what good friends she and Ethel are, how cute Lucy and Ricky are together sometimes, all the great song and dance numbers on the show and the many adventures and ridiculous scenarios that the foursome get themselves into. The first few times we watched it together she had a hard time getting past the show being in black and white. That seemed pretty strange to her. Now I think she's getting that they're actual real people who were in the show and it was just a long time ago. She notices all of Lucy's great clothes, she loves the episodes with Little Ricky (and she told me the other day that when she grows up and has a little boy she's going to name him "Little Chris") and she loves when Lucy manages to find a way to dance and sing in Ricky's shows. I love all the same things and so much more about that show. It makes me feel good to watch it. I like thinking about living in that time period and in New York City. I like thinking about the days when nightclubs were like the one Ricky worked in where people got all dressed up and had dinner, danced and watched a show. I like thinking about being a part of the entertainment world back then. And I like Lucy's spirit. She may come up with some crazy plans (that are often disastrous), but she's always so bold and adventurous and fun. Not only that, but she's a pretty impressive housewife at the same time. I'm sure I could go on. I'm just thankful that this show exists and that Lucille Ball and the rest of the people who made this show were the geniuses that they were and they were able to share it with countless people for generations to come.

3 comments:

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

Heather,
My mom and I would snuggle into her big king size bed, eat popcorn & coke, and watch ILL. I have lots of memories of this as a child and teen. I probably have seen every episode.
I loved Will & Grace. I still watch the reruns. It was a modern day I Love Lucy!

Jessica said...

Are you poopular? Do you pop out at parties?....I think I can quote half of them! She is the reason I HAD to stomp grapes in my lifetime! She made it look so fun, fight and all!

What a fun show to share with Blake!

Aubs said...

What a great tradition. I enjoy watching ILL as well. I think I got started watching it by my grandmother...it makes me laugh just to say the name. However, I did not see a lot of the shows once they moved out of the city.