Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Eyes in the Back of My Head

I'm starting to realize just how real the whole "eyes in the back of the head" saying is for moms. I have them now. I hadn't even noticed until recently, but now that Blake is into a new phase of dishonesty, my magical mom powers are really kicking in. From what I've read and heard, this whole lying thing is completely common and normal for 4-year-olds, but it sure is annoying. It's usually little things and sometimes it's things that I don't even understand at all why she would lie about it (like "I washed my hands" when she didn't or "I put my shoes where you asked me to" when she didn't). Sometimes it's things that really get to me like her obviously suspicious response of "nothing" when I ask what she's doing in another room. Then there's the downright make me mad times like when she's obviously wearing my lipstick or my perfume without asking for help and permission and says "I wasn't doing anything, I'm being honest". When she has a dishonest moment I say stuff like "It's important to be honest", "Remember God is always watching what we do and He wants us to be honest" and when she asks me how I know what she's up to I say, "I'm a Mommy and I always know". It's so funny though because every time she asks me how I know, I say "I just do" and it makes me think about the old saying of moms having eyes in the back of their head and how true it is. Thanks God for the extra set of "Mom" eyes. Now can you just help me figure out what to do and how to respond when I see the less than ideal behavior occurring? Any advice from other moms is also welcome.

No comments: